Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Blog 4 - Mama Lumka's Ncedeluntu Orphanage

I want to tell you about a very special place and a very special lady we visited yesterday in one of the poor townships. Mama Lumka made a cardboard sign indicating that she was willing to care for children during the day back in 1995. She had become aware that many young single mothers were locking little children in their shacks all day while they went to work. Other children were abused and raped on a regular basis. Many were abandoned if they were disabled and many suffered from Fetal Alchohol Syndrome. After a few years she met Chris Willmot who decided to purchase a piece of property and build a proper facility as the need for childcare became greater and greater. Chris and Mama make a great team - she has the vision and determination and he has the business sense. Their sanctuary now houses 32 children ranging from babies to early teens. The government stipulates that children leave an orphanage at age 8 and go back to the townships under foster care. This foster care is not always reliable and Mama Lumka is just keeping them and hoping the government won't interfere. The fate of the older children is obviously not predictable. Since they live in a protected environment, they would not easily fit back into the township. One young boy, Owen, won my heart. I would love to take him to Canada and give him a proper high school education.
    We met two young children at the orphanage yesterday that are very special indeed. Edward has lived with Mama all his life. He is now a handsome young guy about 11 years. When he was an infant, his mother deliberately dropped him on his head three times because she knew she would get a small government stipend for having a handicapped child. Edward is blind, deaf, mute and quadraplegic as a result. He requires one to one 24 hour cared. When you rub his skin, he smiles and he is truly loved. Rubin is also blind and wheel-chair bound as a result of an alcoholic mother. Another young boy, we did not meet unfortunately. Hif mother keeps coming to claim him back. He first arrived on the doorstep of the orphanage wrapped in a plastic grocery bag. He had been raped so severely by the mother's boyfriend that he had prolapsed and many of his organs were hanging and had to be put back in place. It took 2 months to get him medical care. He was in severe pain. Once he was repaired and began to trust these caregivers, his mother arrived and demanded him back. The orphanage could not keep him. This has happened several times and he is now back with his family. I share these sad stories to bear witness to what is happening to vulnerable children who live in tin shacks with no locks on the doors, indeed no doors at times. We were told that poverty is the worst ill here and leads to crime, prostitution, hunger, illness. However, the children under Mama's care are loved and there is laughter and joy at the santuary. They need money for operating costs. Let me know if you wish to contribute and I can direct you. I will leave you with Mama's slogan: "Success is in your feet. You must walk until you find it." Have a good day and appreciate your good fortune.

1 comment:

H said...

Hey there! I volunteered at Mama Lumka's orphanage in February of this year. I also had such an enlightening and beautiful experience there. It changed me, as I'm sure it has you. The children you talked about near the end of the article -- Edward & Rubin -- they were two of my favorites. Such beautiful souls! I did not know their background stories until now. My jaw literally fell open when I was reading about them. I had know idea. One of my fondest memories is holding Edward's hand, which would make him stop shaking... Anyways, I just wanted to let you know that I am also trying to raise money for this beautiful orphanage. My email is giggles733@gmail.com if you would ever like to talk about it, fundraising ideas, etc.
Thanks for your article and raising awareness!
Peace,
-- Hannah
Ps> Did you happen to meet Thuso? He is a baby who is blind. If so, how is he? He won my heart, as your Owen did your's. I know how you felt, I wanted to take Thuso with me as well. :)